C is not only a "System programming language" but has a wide variety of use in other domain.
Fundamental Data Types¶
- Floating point
Derived Data Types¶
- Pointers provide for a machine-independent address arithmetic.
Expressions are formed from Operator and Operands. Any expression including an assignment or a function call can be a statement.
Functions performs a single set of operation within a block of code.
Functions may return values of
- Fundamental data types.
- Derived Data types. except arrays
- Variables can be internal to a function.
- External but known only within a single source file.
- Visible to the entire program.
- This is frowned upon and we should rarely use.
Preprocessing step performs macro substitution on program text, inclusion of other source file or conditional compilation.
UseCase not provided in C¶
- Operations directly dealing with Composite Objects, like
- No Storage other than
- No Input/Output facilities.
- No built in file Access.
The above facilities are included by help of standard library defined by the ANSI C Standard.
ANSI C Standard¶
- New syntax for declaring and defining functions.
- Definition of a standard library.
- C is not a strongly typed language.
- C frowns on but permits the interchange of pointer and integers which has been eliminated by ANSI.
- No Automatic conversion of incompatible data types.